ASLTA Affiliated Chapters
Affiliated State and Local Chapters are important partners for ASLTA.
Chapters provide a local presence, bring national attention to regional needs and improve the quality of ASL instruction via professional development, increased awareness and advocacy.
- Promote official recognition of ASL as a language.
- Promote professional quality in ASL/Deaf Studies teaching.
- Facilitate an effective avenue for exchange of information regarding methods and materials for ASL/Deaf Studies teaching.
- Provide members a minimum of 12 hours per year of professional development related to ASL/Deaf Studies teaching.
- Increase the number of local members to obtain and maintain ASLTA certification.
- Provide input into National ASLTA’s standards and procedures for ASL/Deaf Studies teaching.
- Encourage educational institutions and community-based programs to include ASL/Deaf Studies in their curricula and hire ASLTA-certified teachers.
- Engage in advocacy with the local/state/regional associations of the Deaf and language teaching organizations to promote ASLTA certification for ASL/Deaf Studies teachers.
Affiliated ASLTA Chapters benefit from affiliation with ASLTA via national exposure, networking, and eligibility for financial assistance.
Other benefits include:
- Use of the acronym “ASLTA” in Chapter identification materials.
- Priority scheduling for ASLTA evaluations.
- Designated space in the national ASLTA newsletter/website to communicate Chapter events or news.
- Receive emailed National ASLTA board meeting highlights.
- Officers’ contact information included in the ASLTA website.
- Chapter President or designated representative is invited to attend and engage in National ASLTA Board meetings.
- Eligible to apply for a one-time Matching Professional Development Fund (MPDF) up to $500.00 within two years of Chapter affiliation date. (Note: Chapters have no legal or financial connection to National ASLTA for purposes of 501©3 status, tax exemption or insurance)
- New Chapters receive a Start-Up Kit which includes a video “ASLTA Evaluation & Certification.”
- National ASLTA may send a board member to the newly affiliated Chapter during the first year to: award affiliation, share National ASLTA issues, progress and plans, develop a two (2) year strategic plan, member recruitment and share regional concerns with National ASLTA.
You can find more information about Chapter Guidelines here
To register for a new ASLTA Chapter, you must:
1). First login to your ASLTA personal account (you must have a current/active membership)
2). Access the registration form by clicking the button below. You will need to apply for a new Chapter Account. An ASLTA team member will send you the new Chapter Login credentials.
To renew your ASLTA Chapter, first login with your ASLTA Chapter Account that was issued when the account was established. Then click on the button below.